Authenticity features of the Dutch identity cards for aliens

Choose Language
gb nl


No document?

If an alien is unable to produce a Dutch identity card for aliens, it does not necessarily imply that he is staying in the Netherlands illegally. For example, it is possible that he has not yet collected this document from the municipal authorities or the aliens police. A note will usually have been made in his passport by means of a passport sticker to indicate that he has submitted an application.

EU of EER?

Citizens from countries of the European Union or European Economic Area are not obliged for that matter to have a EU/EEA document. For EU/EEA citizens a valid passport is sufficient. EU/EEA citizens are aliens with one of the following nationalities: Belgium, Cyprus, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Czech Republic, United Kingdom (Great Britain and Northern Ireland), Iceland and Sweden.

Doubts with regard to authenticity?

If you have doubts about the authenticity of the document, for instance because it is no longer valid, the alien will have to report to the aliens police. If you do not understand each other due to language problems, have the alien read the following text. The alien is referred to the alien police in his own language.


Uw verblijfsdocument is niet (meer) geldig. U moet een nieuw document aanvragen bij de IND. Telefoon 0900-1234561 (€ 0,10 p/m), optie 4.

English (Engels)

Your residence permit is not (no longer) valid. You must apply to the IND for a new permit. Telephone number 0900 – 1234561 (€0,10 p/m), option 4.

Deutsch (Duits)

Ihre Aufenthaltserlaubnis ist nicht (mehr) gültig. Sie müssen beim IND ein neues Dokument beantragen. T: 0900-1234561 (€ 0,10 pro Minute), Möglichkeit 4.

Français (Frans)

Votre document de séjour n'est pas (plus) valable. Vous devez demander un nouveau document au IND. Téléphone 0900-1234561 (€ 0,10 p/m), option 4.

Español (Spaans)

Su documento de residencia (ya) no es válido. Debe solicitar un nuevo documento en las oficinas del IND. Teléfono: 0900-1234561 (€0,10 por minuto), opción 4.